Sunday, March 22, 2009

Friends in Singapore!

This past week I had 3 visitors come to Singapore: my mom, erin, and oscar :) I was lucky enough for them to take a break from their busy work/school schedules to come see me! Oscar made with with the new giraffe lamp. All four of them should be on the way home right now. They should hopefully be getting in Sunday night in atlanta. They left very early this morning (3:30) :(, so they will definitely be exhausted on their 'day' of travel.



They had one night in Singapore, then it was time to go see Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I don't have class on Monday so we had to take advantage of them being here on the weekend. We had 2 packed days of fun and animals. The first day started off with us playing with wild monkeys. We got to feed them and take plenty of pictures.

Once we started feeding them, our guide knew Erin really liked her new friends so he taught her how to attract them to sit on her shoulder. The conversation went something like this, "Now these monkeys are kind but remember to be careful as they are still wild animals...okay so here hold this food over your head while this wild monkey climbs up your body to fetch it." This one was very happy just to sit on Erin's shoulder(as long as she kept feeding it)

The second day we woke up bright and early again to go feed/ride the elephants :) We fed them papaya and peanuts. They were so happy.

After we gave them a little snack, everyone lined up to ride the elephants in this nice little circle. Erin,one other girl, and I were the last to go on. We started in the circle when all of a sudden he(the elephant) was told to leave the circle. We rode him down to the river where he was then commanded to just tilt over and we all went under water. Once everyone got in the water it was time for bath time. This consisted of just chilling in the river splashing water on the elephants. (After they were done bathing, my mom got to get up on the elpehant from in the water to ride him out of the river.)


We are now back in Singapore from our great KL adventure celebrating St. Patrick's Day.
Saturday we stumbled upon a free food festival wandering through one of Singapore's many malls. First we were just eating all the free samples, but we broke down and got ourselve's a little bit more of a snack. It was chicken satay with rice -pretty tastey, the drink- lemon with sour plum


After our snack we (that's Quynh) made our way to a Ducktour. It was a tour of some of Singapore part on land and part in water. We got to see the Esplanade, or Durian as they call it, which is Singapore's version of the Sydney Opera House. We got to see a good amount of other stuff on the tour, but most importantly we got to go right by the merlion! :) yay merlion.
Sadly they had to go back home and the week came to an end. It was a lot of fun, but way too short. They are both headed back to work and Erin has to study tons now for her final tests, and I guess I should catch up on some reading.

for more fun visit Erin's blog

4 comments:

Kay said...

Oh Carly
YOU DID UPDATE! You will never know the fun and joy you provided us on our visit! So glad we didn't sleep much!I couldn't wait to skype you when we got home.Thank you so much for sharing your friends,time,Singapore and Maylaysia with us.I am so full with memories and can't wait to hug you again and hear more.Enjoy your last few weeks!
Mommie

tin can photography said...

Hooray! We had sooo much fun! I even woke up wanting some chicken and rice:) This morning I got up at 4:30 am...I'm still working on the time change...but I made it through work and class the first day back:)

I wish we could have stayed longer, but I'm so glad we got to come experience all of that together!

Sarah&Jason said...

sounds like a most wonderful time. only you all would "stumble" upon a food festival. love it.

Anonymous said...

Carly, I don't know what is happening but I can't seem to get a message to you. This is #3. I was so glad yiu did an update. The pictures were great. You have really seen some4 wonderful things.Can't wait until you get home though cause I miss you.
Love ya MeMaw